Headingley Learning Centre
Yorkshire County Cricket Club plays host to its very own Learning Centre on the ground floor of the East Stand. The superb ICT suite and classrooms are used to deliver ‘Playing for Success’, ‘Positive Futures’ and the ‘Cricket in the Classroom’ educational courses and are also used by staff and players on a daily basis.
Playing for Success
- Playing for Success is the flagship ‘out of school hours’ learning programme supported by the Department for Children, Schools and Families.
- Part of a network of 162 learning centres in the country, including 10 cricket centres
- 10 week programme – 120 mixed gender students from local Leeds schools per week – 3 courses a year – 360 students
- No cost for schools and transport is provided
- The aim is to raise achievement in literacy, numeric and ICT skills for children who would most benefit from such an opportunity
- Funded by Education Leeds, DCSF, and an ‘in kind’ Yorkshire CCC contribution
- A Home Office funded learning course
- Targeting Year 6 pupils from Leeds schools deemed to be at risk of offending
- 36 pupils per year
- Runs each week throughout term time
- Self sufficient in transport and teaching
- KS2 & KS3 pupils particularly from the Leeds area
- Schools from across Yorkshire
- Schools from Areas of Social Deprivation in Leeds
- The Learning Centre reaches BAME, pupils with disabilities and girls simultaneously
The combined delivery of both cricket coaching and tuition has succeeded in raising pupils’ confidence and ability and seen over 3396 pupils through the schemes this year.
With the retraction of DCSF funding, Playing for Success is due to finish in April 2011 and new schemes will be developed including ‘SALT’. There are currently discussions ongoing with regards to amalgamating the YCCC and BBC Leeds Learning Centres.
The Learning Centre sees so many children through its doors and is a great opportunity for a potential partner to reach Under 16s in Yorkshire. If you feel you would like to get involved or support the YCCC Learning Centre please contact Will Saville on 0113 203 3620 or email email@example.com
"When I asked one girl why she enjoyed coming to the centre she replied that it made her feel famous. This sums up the excitement experienced by pupils who attend the Yorkshire County Cricket Club Learning Centre at the Headingley Carnegie Stadium. The centre provides a great opportunity to engage pupils in their learning and it is a brilliant place to work.”
John Bedford, Learning Centre Manager
Unicorns v Yorkshire Vikings - YB40 (Chesterfield) Unicorns won the toss and elected to bat
189/9 (40 overs) Pyrah 8-0-34-3, Rashid 8-0-27-2, Patterson 8-0-35-2, Sidebottom 8-0-37-1, Plunkett 8-0-45-0.
Vikings 190-5 (38.5 overs) Lyth 58* Ballance 44 Vikings win by 5 wickets.
Vikings win by 5 wickets