Headingley Cricket Ground
Headingley Carnegie Cricket Ground has been home to the Yorkshire County Cricket Club since 1891 and a venue for Test Matches since 1899. The Club has owned the ground, which has a capacity of 17,000, since 31st December 2005.
In September 2008 work began on laying a new outfield which included extensive drainage work, the largest replay screen and scoreboard in UK sport was erected in the ground in May 2009 and the new Carnegie Pavilion was unveiled to the world during the Pakistan v Australia Test Match in July 2010.
CLICK FOR: Famous Moments at Headingley
CLICK FOR: Ground Records and Statistics
The cricket ground forms part of Headingley Stadium, a multi-sporting complex in Leeds. The Stadium is the home of Yorkshire CCC, Leeds Rhinos (rugby league) and Leeds Carnegie (rugby union). Initially the entire site was owned and run by Leeds Cricket, Football and Athletic Company who purchased the land in 1889. This type of joint cricket and football/rugby stadia was typical in 19th century England, and is how Bramall Lane and Park Avenue originally were.
Yorkshire CCC bought the cricket ground on 31 December 2005. The Club had previously leased the facility. Since 11 January 2006, the stadium has officially been known as the Headingley Carnegie Stadium as a result of sponsorship from Leeds Met University, whose sports faculty is known as the Carnegie School of Sport, Exercise and Physical Education.
Headingley Cricket Ground adjoins the rugby stadium through a shared Main Stand, although the main entrance to the cricket ground is at the opposite Kirkstall Lane end. Since the completion of the Carnegie Pavilion development the Club has moved media and player facilities out of the Main Stand and players, staff and media all now operate from the Pavilion.
150th Year Celebration
2 Sep 2013
Abbeydale Sports Club, Sheffield